Worst New Element of 2014?

VicLUG posts that are of general interest

Moderator: viclug

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Worst New Element of 2014?

Post by tedward »

Saw this in the "new parts" section of Bricklink and almost choked.

[img:640:478]http://www.bricklink.com/PL/15623pb002.jpg[/img]
  • Large part that could have been made of regular parts
  • rare colour that could have been regular green
  • bizarre stud pattern
  • strange connection points.
Generally a silly POOP.

I don't totally hate Friends, but using up valuable resources creating special molds for parts like this increases my dislike.

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Agreed, what a piece of crap!

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

This is a stunt as low as Megabloks. Total disaster.

Ptrotter

Post by Ptrotter »

I thought Lego moved away from this style of parts a while ago. This could have been made up of a number of smaller pieces.
I own a bit of Lego. A little obsessive by some peoples standards.

LEGO Mum

Post by LEGO Mum »

Well, I agree it is a rather "strange" piece, but I think you should look at the intended audience for the piece. It comes from the new "Junior" line for ages 4-7 (not Friends). Many of these sets seem to have similar looking pieces, albeit without the rocks and grass added.

To quote from the S@H site --
"LEGO® Juniors is designed for first timers. In an instant, your child will discover how easy it is to build with LEGO bricks, ..."

LEGO stills designs with youngsters in mind, whether adults like the pieces or not. As with many parts that come in sets for the younger crowd, they are more "pre-built" than adults would like.

Maybe we should look at these pieces as a challenge to use them in new and creative MOCs.

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

That makes a lot more sense, I have admired every Friends set that I've come across so this would be really bucking the norm of a high building standard. It's still a nuisance of a piece, the prints really handicap it imo.

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by tedward »

LEGO Mum wrote:LEGO stills designs with youngsters in mind, whether adults like the pieces or not...
Yes we hear that every time they make a POOP and usually I accept it if there is a case to be made.

In this case though I think the concept does not really apply as there is nothing tricky or difficult in the shape or use of the part that justifies creating a new part. It is a collection of simple plates arranged in two layers.

Furthermore, the part could have been improved by simply leaving the entire surface studded. It would have made a great part for dungeon-building/gaming. As it is, a non-printed, grey version would still be good for LEGO D&D but again, not so much that a whole new mold is justified. There are dozens of parts that would make more sense to produce first.

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by tedward »

We have a new contender!

Behold the most pointless use of a sticker one could imagine:

[img:80:60]http://img.bricklink.com/P/85/4150pb163.jpg[/img]

Let's put a solid-coloured dot on a round 2x2 tile instead of just making the tile in dark red. o_O

Yeah yeah, the production needs...limited colours...blah blah. ;)

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Pretty cheesy...