Table construction

VicLUG posts that are of general interest

Moderator: viclug

Peach James
&nbsp
&nbsp

Table construction

Post by Peach James »

Yep, I've been at it again- another 10 PNLTC style tables are now nearing completion in the Powell basement. Roughly, 7 of them are required for the OO scale railway, leaving a mere 3 more 60" tables to start to replace the round the walls benchwork. I can see I will be busy making more tables, and figuring out a support method that minimizes legs.

James

Crag
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp

Post by Crag »

Hi James

My boys and I are getting close to putting together our (semi) permanent train setup in the house. Is there a standard size that would be logical to use so that some of it could be attached to your stuff if you wanted more at the Victoria train show?

My only concern is that we were thinking our tables would be low so my 3 year old can see. Maybe I could later boost them to your table's height if we were going to connect them.

And are you using digital control or just the regular lego control?

Cheers

Craig

Peach James
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by Peach James »

Crag wrote:Hi James

My boys and I are getting close to putting together our (semi) permanent train setup in the house. Is there a standard size that would be logical to use so that some of it could be attached to your stuff if you wanted more at the Victoria train show?
http://www.baylug.org/zonker/tables/building.html

Shows the basic outline of how I build the tables. I only screw the wood together, using 6 1 1/4" #6 wood screws/side, and 4/end top and bottom. Tops are typically 1/2" ply vis the 3/8th that is recommended. (I am using "Factory, G1S" from Windsor Plywood, at around $35/sheet). The 1x2's for the side can present problems if they are too thin, as if you end up with thicker material used for the legs, it can present a problem.
My only concern is that we were thinking our tables would be low so my 3 year old can see. Maybe I could later boost them to your table's height if we were going to connect them.
I have legs for really only one height right now, that is (IIRC) 30 1/2" leg length. (DON't USE THAT as a hard measurement...I think it is right, but I didn't just measure one to find out for sure!). >32" legs mean you can get 3 of them from a 8' 2x2... I may end up with the lower level lower than that this time around, I am not sure yet. The home use legs are probably going to be a bit wierd to make anyway, as I am going to be supporting 2-3 layers of benchwork for substantial areas.
And are you using digital control or just the regular lego control?
I am using DCC (Digitrax, mostly) for train control. It makes the wiring much easier for operation of multi trains and being able to leave trains where ever you want to. Cost can be a decided negative though.

James[/quote]