Lego train question

VicLUG posts that are of general interest

Moderator: viclug

sarcastigirl

Lego train question

Post by sarcastigirl »

I'm wondering if anyone has motorized the Lego Toy Story Train? My son really wants a motorized train, but he's not fond of the current passenger train or cargo train, he really likes the Toy Story one. We thought we could buy both the Toy Story train and the passenger train and use the motor, etc from the passenger train on the Toy Story one. I'd love to hear if you've tried that, if it works, how hard it is, or if there is a better way?? Thanks very much.

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I'm not much a train person, but if it comes to just getting select pieces from a set I always go to www.bricklink.com

You can get what parts you find most useful out of a set. I'm not sure how this would pertain to your situation, but you would be able to find train motors there for sure. I'll have to leave it to one of the trainheads here to chime in for more specific advice :)

Peach James
&nbsp
&nbsp

Motorizing the TS3 train

Post by Peach James »

I know it is possible to motorize the Toy Story 3 train, there was one at BrickCon that was done. Apparently, it uses the regular (6 AAA) battery pack, not the Li Ion rechargable battery pack. Basically, it used the outside portions of the boxcar (with the $ signs on the doors) to surround the gear required (PF battery box, reciever & PF train motor).

Feel free to contact me for more details,

Unless you already have track, it would sound a good way to get all train specific parts (buying the red passenger train & using it for parts).

I have one of them, its a decent set. (the red passenger train) The analysis on the PF motor calls it more efficient than the 9V motor, and at least as powerful. (whereas the IR one is nearly hopeless in comparison).

(edit- the battery life was ~6 hrs for 6AAA batteries, and around 4 of the passenger cars, 1 boxcar, 1 engine, no tender)

James
VICLUG Trainhead