LEGOLAND coming to Canada

VicLUG posts that are of general interest

Moderator: viclug

Peach James
&nbsp
&nbsp

LEGOLAND coming to Canada

Post by Peach James »

Legoland is coming to the Toronto area next spring.

Construction is set to begin this summer on the $12-million centre at Vaughan Mills Shopping Centre, about 30 kilometres north of Toronto, leisure giant Merlin Entertainments announced Thursday.

The Legoland Discovery Centre is being billed as an interactive and educational two- to three-hour indoor experience geared to families with children aged three to 10.

The centre, based on the popular Lego brick, will have a range of play areas including a 4D cinema, brick pool, classes from a master model builder, rides and special rooms for birthday parties and other celebrations.

A Miniland exhibit featuring buildings nominated by the community will be designed to reflect the iconic buildings and skyline of the area.

Lego models for the approximately 3,160-square-metre Vaughan location will be made in Merlin studios around the world and shipped in during construction.

More than 139 million people live within a day's drive of the site in southern Ontario.

"The enthusiasm with which we have been welcomed was a key factor in selecting our location," Glenn Earlam, managing director of Merlin's Midway Attractions Operating Group, which includes the Legoland Discovery Centres, said in a release.

He added that the company has also identified two other potential new sites in Canada.

Canada will be the 21st country in which Merlin has attractions. The company has 90 attractions in 19 countries and plans to open six new sites in 2012, including four in the U.S. Attractions include Legoland theme parks, Sea Life aquariums, Madame Tussauds and water parks.

Vaughan Mills, a shopping and entertainment destination, is owned and operated by Ivanhoe Cambridge

(Canada Press)

Macntoes

Post by Macntoes »

hmmm...I wonder if it will be better to fly to TO or California for LegoLand?
-Michelle

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of stuff" - Thomas Edison

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by tedward »

Michelle wrote:hmmm...I wonder if it will be better to fly to TO or California for LegoLand?
No contest: California

Why? Cheaper flights, bigger park and more optional extras like Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Of course if I had the money to consider going to TO I would book a trip to Florida and check out the new Legoland there and visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter while I was there. :)

LEGO Mum

Post by LEGO Mum »

There is a difference between LEGOLAND Parks and LEGO Discovery Centers.

One is a full theme park, the other is an indoor amusement area. Granted both have LEGO, MINILAND, rides, etc. but the Discovery Centers are scaled down mini amusement areas, housed inside a building. One will take you a few hours to visit, the other is an all day (or 2) outing.

If you want the full experience, head to LEGOLAND but don't pass up a Discovery Center if you have the chance to visit one.

Including places like Disneyland and Universal Studios with a trip to LEGOLAND California is not that easy if you fly, since one is outside San Diego while the others are outside Los Angeles. But San Diego boasts Sea World, the Wild Animal park as well as a great zoo.

Mary

Steve
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by Steve »

What Mary said.
But I will mention that when I went to LEGOLand in CA with a friend, we had a great side trip to Universal Studios by bus and train.
Steve
My: Brickshelf - MOCPages - Flickr

Kier
&nbsp &nbsp
&nbsp &nbsp

Post by Kier »

I think the discovery centre will be a great side trip while using points to hop across the country. It will be fresh (while LL Carlsbad is a little worn) and more build centric. As a destination, San Diego is full-on awesome. So many things to do, as said before. I wouldn't even count LL (for shame, Kier) in the top 3 of things I did while there. In fact it was the unseasonal weather day and an interest in seeing cacti which brought the best day of my pilgrimage (visited Hellhole Palms outside of Borrego Springs and had apple pie in the Apple Pie Capitol of the US, Julian, CA). While cool, without the new Star Wars part of MiniLand, LL would have dropped from my top 5 things to do in the San Diego area. Now if they do as good a job on the LotR addition... well....