Robin Sather interview in LEGOclub Magazine and LEGOclub.com

VicLUG posts that are of general interest

Moderator: viclug

Steve
&nbsp
&nbsp

Robin Sather interview in LEGOclub Magazine and LEGOclub.com

Post by Steve »

Opening January 30th, an all new LEGO exhibit at Science World in Vancouver BC, by our own LCP, Robin Sather!

Check out Robin's interview in the current (Jan/Feb 2009) issue of LEGOClub Magazine, or read the full interview at www.LEGOClub.com
enter the code ROBINQA

For more information on the Science World display visit www.scienceworld.ca

Congratulations Robin!

Steve
My: Brickshelf - MOCPages - Flickr

Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Robin, you should be ashamed of yourself, encouraging and enabling thousands of afols like this. huge congrats on getting this display together, it sounded huge when you were planning it out and can't wait to see the actual display!

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by tedward »

Sad that you couldn't pimp VicLUG in the article. ;)

Gonna have to do a trip to Science World this spring. Wow, now that I think about it the last time our family was in Vancouver was for the Egyptian exhibit. 8o Robin, you are a one-man tourism magnet for Vancouver!

EDIT: I went and looked @ Science World's website and this stood out:
From the days of the Titanic ship to the days of spaceships...
And I got this odd feeling...you didn't buy the Titanic from Scott did you? :o

wyndryder

Post by wyndryder »

Hey guys,

Cool, huh? :)

Ya, this should be a pretty cool exhibit. I've been in on some of the planning. I've only seen rough pictures of most of the models and constructions. All (but one) were built in Kladno. They're all mini-land scale.

As you know, the exhibit is called "Wheels, Wings, & Waves", and it's all about transportation. There's everything from a Concorde to a diorama of Henry Ford's Model-T assembly line - And of course, a Titanic. (And no, Ted, it's not Scott's Titanic. I think the one is the exhibit is "only" about 6 feet long alhough I haven't actually seen it.)

I'm doing a large centrepiece creation - the only piece in minifig scale. It's a diorama or "world" about 2.5 metres round, and 1.5 high (at the tallest). It will be a permanent part of the exhibit, although I see it "evolving" as it goes from place to place. Basically, it's a landscape that will be populated with as many different forms of transportation as can be fit onto it. At this point, I'm going for at least 100, but there's tons of room for stuff to be added. Local clubs (in the cities it visits) will be able to add "approved" models to the layout while it's displayed in their city. It will look awesome.

I don't keep it up to date, but check out my Flickr stream for shots of some of the models that will be on the layout. You've seen the hot air balloon in the magazine. Of course, I'll have tons of pictures of everything when it's all completed.

It all opens January 30th, and runs until May. From March to May, Science World is also looking for more Lego related stuff to fill several thousand extra square feet of space that will come available. If you guys wanted to put something on display, I'll wager there's room. Let me know.

I'm also doing a giant (4 x 8 x 8H) space shuttle build for the opening. This is a kid build event. Kids actually build sections (under supervision!) that become parts of the finished creation, which stays built until the end of the exhibit.

Let me know if and when any of you will be coming over. I'll schedule a "maintenance" visit to the exhibit, and meet up.

Steve
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by Steve »

cool concept, reminds me of the frozen highway at Expo86
Steve
My: Brickshelf - MOCPages - Flickr

tedward
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by tedward »

Some great stuff.

BTW I cannot believe I never added you as a contact on my Flickr! <head-smack>

wyndryder

Post by wyndryder »

Steve wrote:cool concept, reminds me of the frozen highway at Expo86
Ya, there's a bit of that concept in there - but add a water component in as well! And then there's things like camels, dog-sleds, segways, pogo-sticks, penny-farthings ... :)

Rod
&nbsp
&nbsp

Post by Rod »

That's amazing!

I'm sure we could plan some type of car-pool over there.

...as long as you're willing to sign autographs Robin!

Rod
"Lego is more important than knowledge."
-Einstein (age 10)